Ghostbusters III: Hellbent or Ghostbusters III was the proposed sequel to Ghostbusters II. The film was announced in 1999, but went through many production problems throughout the years.
The plot would involve Ray, Winston, Egon and Peter encounter ghosts in a Hellish version of New York City.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Harold Ramis died in 2014.
- Actors Rick Moranis and Bill Murray expressed no interest in reprising their roles.
- The Sony Hack of 2014 may have been another contributing factor to the cancellation.
- There was a video game with most of the original cast returning called The Real Ghostbusters, which was released in 2009.
- The original version of Ghostbusters III was permanently cancelled.
- In 2016, Sony released a reboot with four women as our Ghostbusters. However, the film was a critical flop due to how offensive the film was with a bunch of jokes that weren't amusing to critics and audiences, and the fact that people were being accused of being sexist since the film only had women in it instead of men.