Superman: The Man of Steel is a cancelled sequel to the 2006 film Superman Returns. The film was to have Brandon Routh return as the title character. It was scheduled for a mid-2009 release.
Brainiac follows Superman back to Earth and it would later reveal that the bank robber who shot Superman in Returns is Metallo. Bryan Singer also stated he would have brought in Bizarro for the film, making Bizarro's debut in a live-action film.
Why It Was Cancelled
- Bryan Singer was going to direct the Jack the Giant Killer.
- Brandon Routh and the other stars went on to do other projects.
- Despite getting praise from critics and audiences, Superman Returns was a box office disappointment.
- The film was permanently cancelled.
- Warner Brothers released Man of Steel in 2013 as a second reboot film that had no connection to Returns and was completely different from the previous film.